Services Offered


Per Chapter 35B.6 subsection 1 of the Code of Iowa, Services Offered is, but is not limited to the following:
  1. Inform members of the armed forces, veterans and their dependents of all federal, state, and local laws enacted for their benefit.
  2. Assist all residents of the state who served in the armed forces of the United States and their relatives, beneficiaries, and dependents in receiving from the United States and this state any and all compensation, pensions, hospitalization, insurance, education, employment pay and gratuities, loan guarantees, or any other aid or benefit to which they may be entitled under any law.

Service Work

Service work involves assisting Veterans and/or their dependents in accessing federal, state, and county benefits which they may be entitled to. Some of the benefits that we regularly assist with include: VA health care, service-connected disability compensation, Veteran’s pension, survivor’s pension and death benefits.

Our office does not determine eligibility or issue these benefits, but we can identify what benefits a person may be eligible for, explain guidelines, complete forms, and assist with the application process which can sometimes be complicated for certain benefits. There are a multitude of other Veterans benefits for which we can provide information, forms, and some assistance.

Veteran Identification

If you would like to have an I.D. to show that you are a Veteran, we can issue a photo I.D. in our office free of charge. This service is available for Black Hawk County residents only. Another option that’s available is to have “Veteran” designation added on your Iowa Driver’s license. In order to do this, there is a form that needs to be completed and certified in our office, then taken to the driver’s license station. We can assist any Veteran with this, regardless of the county of residence.

Relief Assistance

Relief is monetary assistance with emergency needs, such as:
  • Burial
  • Food
  • Shelter
  • Transportation
  • Utilities
The Commission will review any request that the Veteran considers an emergency need.

An application needs to be completed and an interview with the Director or Service Officer who will review the application and determine the level of benefits on a case by case basis.