Please review the insurance requirements below prior to sending in an application.
All permit holders must meet all Insurance requirements found in the general provisions below:
Your permit request will be reviewed by the County Engineer’s staff. Loads on some routes may require a detailed engineering analysis before a permit is issued. Please allow 48 hours for the completion of your permit. Additional time may be required for more detailed engineering analysis.
Many bridges in Black Hawk County have load restrictions. There are also construction projects and detours which will affect the route you may use. Please view the information provided to help you determine a suitable route or call the County Engineer’s Office for assistance at 319-833-3008.
Use the following links to obtain a fillable permit application:
- Annual Oversize Permit (PDF): $50 (Oversize, Legal Weight)
- Single Trip Permit (PDF): $35 (Oversize and or Overweight)
- Multi-Trip Permit (PDF): $200 (Oversize and or Overweight)
- Embargoed Roadway Permit (PDF): $35
- Raw Milk Permit (PDF): $25
- Annual All-Systems Overweight Permit (PDF): $500 (Issued by the Iowa DOT)
- Driveway Entrance (PDF): Request to add, relocate, or widen an entrance to your property. New home entrances must have a 911 address issued from the Planning and Zoning office at 319-291-4366 before an entrance permit will be issued. Entrances to County roads must be approved by the County Engineer. Your application will be reviewed and the site will be inspected for safety and drainage concerns. New driveway installations are paid for by the owner.
- Tile Crossing (PDF): Request to place a connecting tile line beneath a county road.
- Ditch Excavating (PDF): Request permission to excavate in the county ditch along your property.