How do I file a criminal charge?
Contact the police immediately and ask them to make out a report. Depending on the circumstances, the police may arrest the abuser. If no arrest is made, ask the police to explain how you can begin the criminal process or contact the County Attorney’s Office at 319-833-3001 to arrange an appointment.

Visit the Sheriff's website.

Show All Answers

1. What is domestic violence?
2. What can I do if l am abused?
3. What is an order of protection?
4. Do I qualify for an order of protection?
5. How do I file a criminal charge?
6. What happens when I go to the courthouse?
7. How long will the order of protection be in effect?
8. What can I do if the order is violated?
9. If convicted, what penalties will the abuser face?
10. How do I drop a No Contact Order issued in a criminal case?
11. When can I meet with a Judge about the No Contact Order?
12. Where can I get more information?
13. What do I do in an emergency?